If you are trying to ask a question live during Ask an Astrobiologist, please do so in the main chatroom at the bottom of the screen! You can also ask on twitter @saganorg using #AskAstrobio

Right now, the SAGANet team is working hard to bring you a brand new version of the site! On our new platform, it will be much easier to ask your questions and get answers, interact with astrobiology Experts, and participate in our live show.

In the meantime, we have set up this temporary discussion forum where you can post your questions. We will do our best to move them over to the new site when we launch, so feel free to discuss anything astrobiology right here!

Views: 1090

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mohit,

You may simply be seeing a reflection of the red light from your retina in your field of vision. This can happen if you stare at a light for too long. You would see that with your eyes closed or open. This seems like the most logical explanation - it is a physical phenomenon, rather than any kind of spiritual event. Please be careful when staring at bright lights because you may damage your eyesight.

Best,

Gina

Thanks so much for replying ....
You misunderstood...
I still see this i am not meditating and staring any light......pls read whatever i have written in my last reply
I just meditated only for 1 and half month ....but still i have after effects of meditating with me....it is been more than a year now...

I think I understand better. Although, I am now realizing this question is a bit out of scope for SAGANet. I can definitely understand how astrobiology may blend itself with spirituality at times, but we are scientists so we aren't experts in spiritual practices. Apologies for the misunderstanding! 

Dear sir/madam

Hi i am mohit kakkar from india ...i started meditating one and half year ago..i visited bramha kumaris ashram..there i started practising in thier way...looking at the red light with opened eyes without blinking...i dint know..what will be the result of this ...i just started all this to get peace...after few days i started experiencing some amazing things with me...firstly i realised that i can see a red light on the wall where ever i see with concentration...i talked to the sister in ashram and she said windows opened ...nothing explained....after that i saw chakras in front of me with change of colors on the wall...i spoke to the sister she said that is wrong..even i saw a red light from the middle of my forehead like laser light touching the sky...i saw chakra in my forehead while brushing my teeth in front of mirror in the night....i have seen all this with closed eyes also...i saw even my thoughts in my mind...there is something which takes me behind it and shows my blurred live tv of my past or may be future but dont understand what is all that...i saw even third eye in my forehead ....i saw even moon and stars in my mind experienced space....i met with lot many people with my qustions in india ..no one is able to answer my questions...i experienced lot many other ...i am contacting you ...i thought you may answer my all questions...why i experienced all this and what was that...
Still confused....

Regards

Mohit kakkar

Ludhiana

Punjab

India
Pls read it again carefully
Hi! Even though I probably don’t know what profession I would like to pursue yet, i’m very interested in becoming an astrobiologist. Pursuing this is very far off for me, but what should i be doing now to prepare (I was thinking along the lines of internships) and also what education do you need to become an astrobiologist?

Hi Sidney! Glad you joined us. Sanjoy Som, one of our Experts, has written an article for questions such as yours, since it is such a common and important question! This article should get you started:

http://saganet.ning.com/forum/topics/so-you-want-to-become-an-astro...

Next, please check out our resources page! You can find it at the top bar. We try to keep it up to date with all of the school programs, online courses, books, and more that you can get into to make your search for a career as thorough as possible. It's exciting that you're getting started so early! That can only help you.

Best,

Gina

Hello, My name is Gaurav Yadav and I'm from New Delhi, India. I have done B.Tech. And M.Tech. in Biotechnology and have 4+ years of research experience. I have also contributed in some articles which are published online in a reputed journals. I am looking for a Ph.D position in Astrobiology from last year but haven't got any success yet. Can you please give me some suggestion how can I apply so that I will be able to get a fully funded PhD. Position.

Gaurav,

The general process in the United States for applying to graduate school is all I can give advice on, since it is the only system I am at all familiar with. Is that what you are looking for? Are you looking for a program in a different country?

For the United States system, the key is to first identify what specific research interests you have and then visit websites of various programs (we have a list here) to learn about what different individual professors study. At that point, you can begin to contact them directly to find out if they have space in their lab for a PhD student. It's important to explain why you are seeking to work in their lab specifically. Coming across as being interested in "any lab, I just want to go to grad school" will send the message that you are not focused. Since you have research experience, though, I imagine this won't be difficult for you to narrow down what you'd like to study.

This process may be similar in European countries, though I cannot say for certain. I will ping our experts who are outside the US to see if they can reply to you with any advice. We do have experts who are in India. Specifically, there is Astrobiology India and our colleague Siddharth who you can reach here: info@astrobiologyindia.in  

Best of luck to you,

Gina

Okay. My question might be out of line, or possibly a stupid one, but i have to ask because its been itching at me for quite some time.
So a human will lose approx one percent of bone mass for each month spent in space correct? Has there been any studies or experiments on any animals, mice for example, where there was a pregnant mouse in space during the embryo process up until birth?
If so, what were the effects on the mother, if any, and the overall outcome of the newborns? Would they be born with little to no bones?
If no studies have been conducted like that, what do you think would happen?
Thank you and good night

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Blog Posts

The 5th Mexican School of Astrobiology

Posted by Tardigrelda on June 24, 2019 at 1:00pm 0 Comments

I am really glad to invite everyone to the next Mexican School of Astrobiology (aka EMA) which is this August.

¡Anímate a participar en la 5ta Escuela Mexicana de…

Continue

A consortium of representatives of European Research Organisations has taken the initiative to create a virtual institute named the “European Astrobiology Institute” (EAI) with the ambition of enabli…

Posted by Wolf D. Geppert on February 24, 2019 at 1:33am 0 Comments

A consortium of representatives of European Research Organisations has taken the initiative to create a virtual institute named the “European Astrobiology Institute” (EAI) with the ambition of enabling Europe to emerge as a key player in Astrobiology and to…

Continue

AbSciCon session on life in high salt habitats

Posted by Jeff Bowman on December 14, 2018 at 8:12am 0 Comments

Abstract submissions are open for AbSciCon 2019!  You can check out the full selection of sessions here, however, I'd like to draw your attention toward the session Salty Goodness: Understanding life, biosignature…

Continue

vemala Network

Posted by Apit Supriatna on October 7, 2018 at 1:07am 0 Comments

Vemala.com merupakan situs yang membahas seputar gaya hidup, dengan berbagai macam informasi kesehatan, olahraga, Fitness, review, kecantikan, relationship,Lifestile, Tips kehamilan,Fashion dan lain sebagainya.

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Have we been looking in the wrong time-frame? Requesting feedback on a recent paper.

Started by Christopher J Reiss in The Cutting-Edge of Astrobiology on Saturday. 0 Replies

Let me first say Hi to everyone as a new member here!   I hope you are all safe, sound, and not too stir-crazy during this Pandemic.I recently stumbled upon a notion for SETI which seems so simple I…Continue

Interactive Online Astrobiology for 10-12 yr olds

Started by Julia Brodsky in Education and Public Outreach Mar 9. 0 Replies

If your 10-12 yr old child is interested in space science, I would like to invite them to our courses. I am a former science teacher,  mom of three, and a former NASA astronaut instructor. I also…Continue

Tags: school, education, middle, astrobiology, STEM

zahra cell

Started by adam nurjaman in Education and Public Outreach Mar 7. 0 Replies

Hallo apa kabar ? semoga selalu baik2 saja zahra cell adalah blog yang…Continue

Tags: cell, zahra

Ask your questions here!

Started by Gina Riggio in SAGANet Discussions. Last reply by Ian James Miller Jan 28. 83 Replies

If you are trying to ask a question live during Ask an Astrobiologist, please do so in the main chatroom at the bottom of the screen! You can also ask on twitter…Continue

© 2020   Blue Marble Space, a non-profit organization committed to science and science outreach.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service