Please introduce yourself, where you are from, and a little bit about you. 

Views: 1061

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome Kamesh! I hope you get to meet Sara Imari Walker on S.A.G.A.N. I think she is well versed in your 1. - cheers

Thanks a lot Sanjay ! . Yes, I can see it from Sara's profile now and it would be awesome to get to discuss things with her. 

Hi,

My parents named me Jordan, I am an adventurer, I have hitch hiked around the U.S., lived in a car, and learned how to dumpster dive for anything that I need. I never wear shoes or a shirt.

I graduated highschool and started working for an oil company where I got paid to help geologist study rocks in other countries. I got a chance to visit many places around the world this way and after two years of saving up I decided to pursue a degree in biology. I got bored and after completing my sophmore year I decided to travel more while living out of my car while working jobs off of craigslist and by word of mouth. Last summer I stopped in the middle of the desert in Nevada and saw the stars basically for the first time. This made me wish I could get a job with both biology and astronomy. The next day I went to an internet cafe and found out what Astrobiology was. I went back to school and I currently just got accepted to Arizona State U. for the Astrobiology program. Although I don't know if I can live out of my car there because I hear it's kinda hot so I may have to get a place.

Other interest - Currently I am into rock climbing, I got a job right now working as a rock climbing instructor at a rock gym. I also like super powers, fruit, and all kinds of art.

Hello! My name is Deanna McCool (cool last name right?) and I am a 21 year old student at the University of Nevada, Reno. I am currently majoring in Astrobiology, minoring in Astrophysics/Biophysics.

Space has been a huge part of my life since I was a little girl, and I love meeting people who share that interest with me. So feel free to shoot me an IM or friend me. I don't bite ;)

I'm Stephen van Vuuren. I'm an independent filmmaker in Greensboro, NC working on a film called "In Saturn's Rings" that was inspired by love of Saturn & Titan that I got from reading Cosmos as a kid. The film is dedicated to Carl Sagan (and Stanley Kubrick).

I'm always looking for volunteers interesting in helping with the outreach efforts as the film aims to inspire interest in space exploration.

Welcome Stephen! Sounds exciting! What sort of volunteers are you looking for? 

We are looking for volunteers to help with several areas:

1. We need help finding distance data on a number images of galaxy images being used in the film.
  2. We always need people interested in doing image processing on space images.
  3. We need feedback/advisory input on accuracy of photoanimation
  4. We are looking for additional people with web/database and java programming skills to help with large scale image downloading (we will be releasing all the tools we are developing open source when the film comes out)
  5. Right now, were running a Kickstarter for real orchestral score and need some online social media volunteers to help spread the word.

Not much at all :)

Hi Stephen, this sounds great. We could put out an announcement out in the next newsletter, just send the info. you'd want to send out to admins@saganet.org. You could also post a separate forum post about "In Saturn's Rings", the volunteers you need, and the Kickstarter campaign - we can promote the post on our twitter and FB feeds to help get the word out. Good luck!!

Welcome to so many new members! Very exciting to see where you are all coming from and what your interests are!

Hi everyone! 

I'm a PhD student in Materials Science at Arizona State University, and I just found out about SAGAN when I saw a talk from Sara Walker at the Space Vision 2013 conference last week! her talk about science fiction driving science fact was pretty awesome.

My research isn't directly space related, but I have worked on single-photon resolution detectors in the x-ray region, so thats definitely applicable to astronomy! Right now I'm working on high temperature superconductors and Quantum Computing.

I love science outreach stuff, so I've recently started a science podcast (LASERpodcast.com or we're on iTunes--search for "LASER Science Podcast" [LASER stands for "let's agree science and engineering are rad]) for discussing recent scientific publications--kind of like a journal club. So if you are doing science that you enjoy, and wouldn't mind recording a conversation about your research over skype (or in person if you're in Phoenix) please please contact me so I can interview you!

Hi Cameron, welcome to SAGAN! I am glad you enjoyed the talk. I'd be happy to do a conversation recording sometime - love the LASER acronym.

Hello!

My name is Vanessa and I am currently in the process of applying to graduate schools in hopes of studying astrobiology!  More specifically, I am mainly interested in prebiotic chemistry, early microbial evolution, and life outside of Earth/in extreme environments. I graduated from Northern Illinois University with a B.S. in biochemistry in 2011 and I have been working in a non-science field since then.  

I am currently living near Seattle and I absolutely love the outdoor activities available in the Pacific Northwest. I love hiking, beach-combing, and rock collecting. (This is starting to sound like a dating profile...)

I am really dedicated to STEM outreach, especially for women and minorities.  I would love to see a future crop of professors that is much more diverse than it is currently.  

I am really happy I found this community and I hope that I can contribute in meaningful ways over the course of my astrobiology journey.  

Please don't hesitate to contact me, I am always looking for friends with similar interests.  I am also hoping to find a informal mentor.  I have already completed my undergraduate degree and thus I don't qualify for S.A.G.A.N.'s mentorship program.  I would appreciate any information anyone can offer me!

If you are in the Seattle area and would like to meet up, let me know!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Blog Posts

The 5th Mexican School of Astrobiology

Posted by Tardigrelda on June 24, 2019 at 1:00pm 0 Comments

I am really glad to invite everyone to the next Mexican School of Astrobiology (aka EMA) which is this August.

¡Anímate a participar en la 5ta Escuela Mexicana de…

Continue

A consortium of representatives of European Research Organisations has taken the initiative to create a virtual institute named the “European Astrobiology Institute” (EAI) with the ambition of enabli…

Posted by Wolf D. Geppert on February 24, 2019 at 1:33am 0 Comments

A consortium of representatives of European Research Organisations has taken the initiative to create a virtual institute named the “European Astrobiology Institute” (EAI) with the ambition of enabling Europe to emerge as a key player in Astrobiology and to…

Continue

AbSciCon session on life in high salt habitats

Posted by Jeff Bowman on December 14, 2018 at 8:12am 0 Comments

Abstract submissions are open for AbSciCon 2019!  You can check out the full selection of sessions here, however, I'd like to draw your attention toward the session Salty Goodness: Understanding life, biosignature…

Continue

vemala Network

Posted by Apit Supriatna on October 7, 2018 at 1:07am 0 Comments

Vemala.com merupakan situs yang membahas seputar gaya hidup, dengan berbagai macam informasi kesehatan, olahraga, Fitness, review, kecantikan, relationship,Lifestile, Tips kehamilan,Fashion dan lain sebagainya.

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Ask your questions here!

Started by Gina Riggio in SAGANet Discussions. Last reply by Gina Riggio Aug 11. 31 Replies

If you are trying to ask a question live during Ask an Astrobiologist, please do so in the main chatroom at the bottom of the screen! You can also ask on twitter…Continue

Spiritual connection

Started by MOHIT Kakkar in The Cutting-Edge of Astrobiology Jun 15. 0 Replies

Hi pls answer my spiritual questions.Continue

Conference "Impacts and their Role in the Evolution of Life", Tällberg, Siljan crater area, Sweden, 10-13 June 2019

Started by Wolf D. Geppert in Upcoming Conferences / Workshops Mar 12. 0 Replies

We would like to invite you to participate in the conference:Impacts and their Role in the Evolution of LifeTällberg, Siljan crater area, Sweden, 10-13 June 2019Topics covered by the conference will…Continue

Postdoctoral Research in Microbial Nitrogen Cycling at Ames

Started by Melissa Kirven-Brooks in Jobs / Post-docs / Other opportunities Nov 28, 2018. 0 Replies

The Bay Area Environmental Research (BAER) Institute is seeking a full-time postdoctoral researcher to perform measurements of nitrogen cycling in photosynthetic microbial mats at NASA’s Ames…Continue

Tags: cycling, nitrogen, doc, Post

© 2019   Blue Marble Space, a non-profit organization committed to science and science outreach.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service