Please introduce yourself, where you are from, and a little bit about you. 

Views: 1131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, I am Teresa Fornaro, a second year PhD student in Physical Chemistry at Scuola Normale Superiore of Pisa (Italy) in collaboration with the INAF-Astrophysical Observatory of Arcetri, and new ISSOL Student Councillor. I am involved in an Astrobiology research concerning computational and experimental spectroscopic studies on interactions of astrobiologically relevant molecules with minerals under space conditions. I have experience also in the development of liquid extraction protocols of biomarkers adsorbed on minerals for sample return space missions and in situ biosensor-based life detection technologies. My main interests concern studies on the physical and chemical phenomena occurring when biomolecules interact with minerals in plausible prebiotic environments, to investigate the role of minerals in the origin of life, detection of biomolecules in extraterrestrial environments, molecular photochemistry in space conditions. 

I am very happy to take part in SAGANET community! I think it is a very effective way to share our knowledge and experience in order to develop a common language in such a multidisciplinary field! :-)

Hey I'm Grace. I'm a Criminal Justice student at University of Illinois but I am extremely interested in astronomy. I took an astronomy course over the summer and have always enjoyed looking through telescopes as well as following NASA.  I'm excited to see what I can learn from this website!

Welcome Grace! 

Hey, everyone! I'm Chryste from Greensboro, North Carolina, USA. I feel like I'm probably one of the youngest/most inexperienced people here - I graduated high school in June of 2012, and will begin studying astronomy/astrophysics at UNC Chapel Hill in August of 2013.

Instead of directly pursuing higher education, I chose (and was fortunate enough to be able) to take a "gap year" between high school and university; as a result, I am now in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Over the past few months I've seen much of Nepal and northern India (including Darjeeling, where I met fellow SAGAN-member Julia DeMarines!), and I will be continuing my travels through the south of India, Sri Lanka, and Thailand for the next five months. 

Being abroad and alone for an extended period of time, I've found myself often gazing at the stars, the only constant in my life these days... as cliche and romantic as it sounds, I think it's through my travels that I've truly realized my desire to incorporate astronomy into my occupation. :)

I'm excited and honored to be a member of SAGAN, and look forward to getting to know/learning from all of you! Happy holidays!

Welcome Chryste! How awesome you bumbped into JdM in Darjeeling! Wow :) 

Hey Chryste! I just am seeing this now! I'm so glad I randomly was seated next to you in a teeny-tiny cafe in Darjeeling... seriously, what are the odds. I still cannot get over it. Anyways, I'm thrilled on so many levels that you found time time to check out saganet! I can't wait to hear more about your travels and I look forward to connecting with you in the future!!!

Peace 

My name is Steven Griffin from the Great United States of America.  I've been a science enthusiast since I first built my first laser at 8 years old.  I believe in terra formation and the future of Humanity is dependent on such a project for life sustainability in our Galaxy.  I am the founder and president of FreedomSolar.biz , inc.  an alternative energy company and am A Naturopathic Physician specializing in anti-aging nutrition.  I study and research energy and the future of the green revolution on Earth.  I currently am focusing my green research in "Power-Factor correction" bringing energy savings to the masses.  I'm interested in the formation of Intergalactic Law to help bring Peace Law to Earth.I was born in Missouri where I lived 1/2 my childhood then to the Arkansas Ozarks for where I learned to love God's creation in the wilderness of The mountains.  I currently live in mid state Louisiana where my company's off grid HQ is located to continue my corporate mission. - Steven Griffin

Hi everyone !!

I'm Zerin and I've just joined this community. Currently,I'm a High School student only. It's my dream to be the first woman from Bangladesh to go to space or at least to work for NASA. I adore studying Science more than anything else and all fields of Science equally fascinates me. However, I'm much more curious about Astrobiology as  it probes deeper into the origin of life. I'm hoping to learn a lot here !!

Hi Zerin, welcome to S.A.G.A.N.!

Thanks,it feels great to be "welcomed" !! :)

Hello everyone,

My name is Ken, and I work in a technical documentation team for a small software company. I've been interested in astronomy and space sciences since I was a kid, and started following astrobiology and related topics a few years ago. I've been an active SETI@home participant since the client first came out.

I've also long since been interested in anthropology and am about to resume a degree program I started a few years ago. My other big interest is music and audio engineering--I have a small home studio and am currently working with musicians in mostly in experimental/electronic/ambient areas. I'm hoping to become involved in some audio/music preservation projects next year. I'm also hoping to do the 2014 Contact Conference.

I'm really excited to participate here.

Great to have you Ken!

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Blog Posts

Using tried and tested methods of constructing habitats from ethnobotanical and ethnozoological useful species for self sustainability on Mars

Posted by Andrew Planet on June 26, 2020 at 8:00am 0 Comments

To maximize crop yields on Mars it would be advantageous to do away with annuals and biannuals by engineering the latter into perennials as standard. Not only would that entail far less work to grow produce as the act of replanting is made obsolete, but per given cultivated area perennials bring forth more food and materials with less demand from the soil than the equivalent of annuals.

Imagine a superfood annual such as lentils engineered into a lentil tree for which there already…

Continue

Free astrobiology webinars for kids, summer 2020

Posted by Julia Brodsky on June 13, 2020 at 12:28pm 0 Comments

This summer, Art of Inquiry hosts free space exploration and astrobiology webinars for middle-school students and their families all over the world.

Here is a list of what was covered so far, as well as an updated schedule of webinars:

The search for life in the Universe, Dr. Alex Tsapin, JPL (retired)

The history of SETI, SETIQuest editor, Larry…

Continue

Radiolysis-powered life

Posted by Andrew Planet on June 11, 2020 at 9:56pm 7 Comments

This paper greatly extends the possibility of what a Goldilocks zone can be.  Its no longer the Goldilocks zone as a single expanse, its the Goldilocks zones for a particular area

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/pdf/10.1098/rsif.2016.0459

¿Are the Venusian sulphuric acid clouds the by product of long dead anoxogenic photosynthetic organisms?

Posted by Andrew Planet on May 4, 2020 at 2:51pm 2 Comments

I just read the piece at the link below entitled "Study: Life might survive, and thrive, in a hydrogen world."

I'd been thinking on similar lines recently, on different atmospheres with early life, but I was considering anoxogenic bacteria whose byproduct is sulfur instead of molecular oxygen. ¿Had life evolved on Venus could its sulfuric clouds be the signature byproduct of such life with no branches ever evolving to produce the equivalent of Earth's Great…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Ask your questions here!

Started by Gina Riggio in SAGANet Discussions. Last reply by Pritha Jaipal yesterday. 127 Replies

If you are trying to ask a question live during Ask an Astrobiologist, please do so in the main chatroom at the bottom of the screen! You can also ask on twitter…Continue

Inhabitation on mars, with plants or without?

Started by Chirag Parmar in The Cutting-Edge of Astrobiology. Last reply by Chirag Parmar on Monday. 2 Replies

hello there, Chirag Parmar this side!i am a biotechnology student and currently on research of plants on other planets! The main issue is the gravity of the planet! If we take mars as an example, the…Continue

Tags: #plantsonplanets, #mars, #plants

Have we been looking in the wrong time-frame? Requesting feedback on a recent paper.

Started by Christopher J Reiss in The Cutting-Edge of Astrobiology. Last reply by Greg Bowen Jun 30. 5 Replies

Let me first say Hi to everyone as a new member here!   I hope you are all safe, sound, and not too stir-crazy during this Pandemic.I recently stumbled upon a notion for SETI which seems so simple I…Continue

Interactive Online Astrobiology for 10-12 yr olds

Started by Julia Brodsky in Education and Public Outreach Mar 9. 0 Replies

If your 10-12 yr old child is interested in space science, I would like to invite them to our courses. I am a former science teacher,  mom of three, and a former NASA astronaut instructor. I also…Continue

Tags: school, education, middle, astrobiology, STEM

© 2020   Blue Marble Space, a non-profit organization committed to science and science outreach.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service