With the successful Antares launch, what future do you predict for commercial space exploration?

With the successful Antares launch,
what future do you predict for
commercial space exploration?

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is a very expensive endeavor. I could only hope for more participation by other start-up companies.

But, if the commercialization of space does take place in earnest then it would be justified to establish "space-faring" standards. I am not arguing for more and denser govt intervention--but the last thing the world needs is more space debris. Perhaps, a "start-up" company can address the situation of space debris?

Interesting question--

John

ESA is addressing the issue of space debris. Here is the link with the details of 6th European Conference on Space Debris - today is the final day of the conference!

http://congrexprojects.com/13a09/introduction

Thanks for the link and information.

Stunning visuals!

Lately I just read about an increasing trend of “coopertition” (cooperation + competition) among major companies in commercial space ventures, according to which these companies work together in research and education issues to achieve their desired goals, at the same time they try to outperform each other and compete when exposed to the market. Also, these companies together build an industry within which they are focusing on different areas of expertise. So, the end result is definitely a much better product. Moreover, the companies like Blue Origin and SpaceX are trying to amend their strategies to make the human space exploration more frequent, less-expensive, and less-risky; in this way, planning to get more people into space. With this, future of commercial space exploration seems quite promising and I hope this commercialization will continue pushing boundaries of space exploration in the future! Building the commercial partnerships is indeed a revolutionary endeavor that NASA is fostering and the unprecedented reach of human explorers into deeper space is clearly foreseeable! 

Thank you both for your comments! And great ones they are. Space debris is definitely an issue, and there is a Swiss team working on a potential solution: "CleanSpace One"

http://actu.epfl.ch/news/cleaning-up-earth-s-orbit-a-swiss-satellit...

I think it is important to differentiate between commercial delivery of goods to Low Earth Orbit, vs commercial deep space exploration. One generates revenue, the other doesn't (or at least the business plan to do so isn't clear in my head). The launch sector to deliver payloads into space has matured over the decades that governments has been doing so, as such it makes sense in my mind to transition this "routine" task to the commercial sector, so that "coopertition" (great word Anush!) can drive the costs down. This liberates a good chunk of change for government investment into deep space technologies, where a return in the investment isn't immediately necessary, but a very worthwhile endeavor, as the rewards can be amazing.

I think only very successful commercial companies will be able to afford commercial deep space exploration for the sake of exploring, rather than prospecting..

Interesting point Sanjoy! It was SpaceUp Seattle symposium where the concept of "coopertition" was proposed as key for commercial space exploration. By reducing the cost of space travel and developing a better crew transportation system, through "coopertition", these companies are actually trying to make human space flights more feasible and frequent. I, too, am not very sure about what businesses may or may not be profitable for these companies and for the government, but, as far as commercial interplanetary and deep space exploration is concerned there are certain pioneering companies like DeepSpace Industries and Planetary Resources that are planned for targeting Asteroids; Gloden Spike, committed for frequent human expeditions to the Moon (without gov. funding) http://goldenspikecompany.com/ (sounds really exciting endeavor!), and Biglow Aerospace, which is also on the way of doing exciting things with other collaborations.  

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Blog Posts

¿Are the Venusian sulphuric acid clouds the by product of long dead anoxogenic photosynthetic organisms?

Posted by Andrew Planet on May 4, 2020 at 2:51pm 2 Comments

I just read the piece at the link below entitled "Study: Life might survive, and thrive, in a hydrogen world."

I'd been thinking on similar lines recently, on different atmospheres with early life, but I was considering anoxogenic bacteria whose byproduct is sulfur instead of molecular oxygen. ¿Had life evolved on Venus could its sulfuric clouds be the signature byproduct of such life with no branches ever evolving to produce the equivalent of Earth's Great…

Continue

100 years tomorrow 26th April 2020 since we looked beyond the Milky Way Galaxy

Posted by Andrew Planet on April 25, 2020 at 11:10am 0 Comments

Exactly 100 years ago tomorrow, the subject on whether this Universe is larger than the Milky Way Galaxy was brought up publicly at an event sponsored by the National Academy of Sciences, known as The Great Debate. Until then the Milky Way was thought to be this Universe.  Conference at the NAS http://www.nasonline.org/about-nas/events/annual-meeting/nas157/

See this…

Continue

The 5th Mexican School of Astrobiology

Posted by Tardigrelda on June 24, 2019 at 1:00pm 0 Comments

I am really glad to invite everyone to the next Mexican School of Astrobiology (aka EMA) which is this August.

¡Anímate a participar en la 5ta Escuela Mexicana de…

Continue

A consortium of representatives of European Research Organisations has taken the initiative to create a virtual institute named the “European Astrobiology Institute” (EAI) with the ambition of enabli…

Posted by Wolf D. Geppert on February 24, 2019 at 1:33am 0 Comments

A consortium of representatives of European Research Organisations has taken the initiative to create a virtual institute named the “European Astrobiology Institute” (EAI) with the ambition of enabling Europe to emerge as a key player in Astrobiology and to…

Continue

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Ask your questions here!

Started by Gina Riggio in SAGANet Discussions. Last reply by Mert Kabalcı on Tuesday. 121 Replies

If you are trying to ask a question live during Ask an Astrobiologist, please do so in the main chatroom at the bottom of the screen! You can also ask on twitter…Continue

Have we been looking in the wrong time-frame? Requesting feedback on a recent paper.

Started by Christopher J Reiss in The Cutting-Edge of Astrobiology Apr 3. 0 Replies

Let me first say Hi to everyone as a new member here!   I hope you are all safe, sound, and not too stir-crazy during this Pandemic.I recently stumbled upon a notion for SETI which seems so simple I…Continue

Interactive Online Astrobiology for 10-12 yr olds

Started by Julia Brodsky in Education and Public Outreach Mar 9. 0 Replies

If your 10-12 yr old child is interested in space science, I would like to invite them to our courses. I am a former science teacher,  mom of three, and a former NASA astronaut instructor. I also…Continue

Tags: school, education, middle, astrobiology, STEM

zahra cell

Started by adam nurjaman in Education and Public Outreach Mar 7. 0 Replies

Hallo apa kabar ? semoga selalu baik2 saja zahra cell adalah blog yang…Continue

Tags: cell, zahra

© 2020   Blue Marble Space, a non-profit organization committed to science and science outreach.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service