(It was Carl Sagan's birthday last week!)

What is your favorite Sagan quote?

Views: 115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". Certainly, whenever I am writing a manuscript dreaming that it could make it to Science or Nature, I remember this particular quote!

Pale Blue Dot is my all-time favorite! For me, it’s a true expression of the spirituality of science. Here, I want to cite a book excerpt in which Carl talked about his inquisitiveness about stars and universe when he was an elementary school kid. I just love the way he expressed it.

“I went to the library. I asked the librarian for a book on the stars. She came back and gave me a book. I opened it. It was filled with pictures of people like Jean Harlow and Clark Gable.

I was humiliated. I gave it back to her and said, "This wasn't the kind of stars I had in mind." She thought this was hilarious, which humiliated me further. She then went and got the right kind of book. I took it—a simple kid's book. I sat down on a little chair—a pint-sized chair—and turned the pages until I came to the answer.

And the answer was stunning. It was that the Sun was a star but really close. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light.... And while I didn't know the [inverse] square law of light propagation or anything like that, still, it was clear to me that you would have to move that Sun enormously far away, further away than Brooklyn [for the stars to appears as dots of light]....

The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. [It was] kind of a religious experience. [There] was magnificence to it, grandeur, and a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.. ”

- from “Carl Sagan A Life” by Keay Davidson

Wow Anushree.. How wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Thanks Betul. That wonderment has never left me too :)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"

My day neither begins nor ends without this...it's just beautiful..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wupToq...

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Blog Posts

The 5th Mexican School of Astrobiology

Posted by Tardigrelda on June 24, 2019 at 1:00pm 0 Comments

I am really glad to invite everyone to the next Mexican School of Astrobiology (aka EMA) which is this August.

¡Anímate a participar en la 5ta Escuela Mexicana de…

Continue

A consortium of representatives of European Research Organisations has taken the initiative to create a virtual institute named the “European Astrobiology Institute” (EAI) with the ambition of enabli…

Posted by Wolf D. Geppert on February 24, 2019 at 1:33am 0 Comments

A consortium of representatives of European Research Organisations has taken the initiative to create a virtual institute named the “European Astrobiology Institute” (EAI) with the ambition of enabling Europe to emerge as a key player in Astrobiology and to…

Continue

AbSciCon session on life in high salt habitats

Posted by Jeff Bowman on December 14, 2018 at 8:12am 0 Comments

Abstract submissions are open for AbSciCon 2019!  You can check out the full selection of sessions here, however, I'd like to draw your attention toward the session Salty Goodness: Understanding life, biosignature…

Continue

vemala Network

Posted by Apit Supriatna on October 7, 2018 at 1:07am 0 Comments

Vemala.com merupakan situs yang membahas seputar gaya hidup, dengan berbagai macam informasi kesehatan, olahraga, Fitness, review, kecantikan, relationship,Lifestile, Tips kehamilan,Fashion dan lain sebagainya.

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Ask your questions here!

Started by Gina Riggio in SAGANet Discussions. Last reply by Ian James Miller Jan 28. 83 Replies

If you are trying to ask a question live during Ask an Astrobiologist, please do so in the main chatroom at the bottom of the screen! You can also ask on twitter…Continue

Mentor Request

Started by Jerry Lee in SAGANet Community Jan 4. 0 Replies

Greetings all,             My name is Jerry Lee and I am in need of a mentor. I had the pleasure of meeting and exchanging e-mails with Dr. Svetlana Shkolyar and few years ago here when I was…Continue

Tags: Mentor

Internship in Astrobiology

Started by Eva Zanditenas in Jobs / Post-docs / Other opportunities Oct 9, 2019. 0 Replies

Hi, My name is Eva Zanditenas, I am in my final year of biotechnology (in Paris) and I looking for an internship of six months to conclude my studies.   I am passionate about astrobiology, and it is…Continue

Tags: internship

European Astrobilogy Institute now on Twitter !

Started by Wolf D. Geppert in SAGANet Community Sep 24, 2019. 0 Replies

ear All,The European Astrobiology Institute is now on Twitter : @EAIastrobiologyIf you are interested: Follow us!If you like a tweet: Like us!If you find a tweet interesting: Retweet!If you want us…Continue

© 2020   Blue Marble Space, a non-profit organization committed to science and science outreach.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service