Air density 2.7 billion years ago limited to less than twice present levels by fossil raindrop imprints

Hello folks, a few weeks ago I published a paper on early Earth atmospheric pressure.

Sanjoy M. Som, David C. Catling, Jelte P. Harnmeijer, Peter M. Polivka & Roger Buick (2012) Air density 2.7 billion years ago limited to less than twice modern levels by fossil raindrop imprints, Nature 484, 359–362.

Here is the short version:

We calculate the air density 2.7 billion years ago by measuring fossil raindrop imprints. The thicker the air, the more slowly raindrops fall and the smaller the imprints become. The converse is true. Atmospheric density is obtained by coupling experiments of falling raindrops with theoretical predictions of raindrop dynamics. We find that atmospheric density was at most 2x present levels, but rainfall statistics favor an air density more probably between 0.5x - 1.05x present levels.

Or you can read an extended summary here. The paper can be found on Nature's website here, although i've attached it below to help discussion.

If this is a topic that interests you, I'd be delighted to talk about it more here and try to answer your questions!

Cheers,
Sanjoy 

Views: 188

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sanjoy this is really neat!! I'd love to hear more about how you do the calculation. I remember you saying something about teaching measuring impact imprints for a class - do you have any sort of lesson plan built around this topic?

Hi Sara,

Thanks for your interest! The calculation is actually quite straight forward. Given that it is raindrop impact momentum that governs imprint size, and given that the largest possible drop size (~ 7mm in diameter) is independent of air density, one needs i) a relationship between raindrop impact momentum and imprint size, and ii) a relationship between air density and raindrop momentum (for a raindrop of given size).

The first relationship is obtained by experiments, which Peter Polivka and I did in a stairwell. We released raindrops of different sizes (and thus different impact momentum) onto a substrate similar to the one that the fossilized raindrop imprints are found in, and measured the resulting imprint dimensions. Now, from theory, one can calculate the impact momentum of raindrops falling at different air densities, so ii) is easily obtained from first principles.

So by measuring the largest fossilized imprints, we used the experimental relationship to find the corresponding momentum, and assuming that the largest imprints were formed by the largest raindrop allowed, used theory to related impact momentum found in i) with air density. That gave us the air density upper bound!

I don't have a lesson plan written, but raindrops are easily captured by placing a tray of flour in a rainstorm for a few seconds, so some fun can be had with that! It could be interesting for students to see how broadly raindrop sizes are in a typical rain event, and compare such distributions with those found in different climates or in different seasons! It's an idea I'd like to one day develop into a citizen science project.

Thanks for the detailed response!! I think that would make a fabulous citizen science project! I might adopt this as a lesson plan next time I do a classroom outreach event. It is just so cool how simple physics captures so much. Thanks for the inspiration! =D

Hey Sanjoy, 

Loved this paper when it came out, and I spoke to Roger last month about it when we were in Lyon together.  I have some pretty sexy imprints form 1 Ga rocks in Scotland that I'm pretty certain are not raindrops - seems like you guys would be perfect to get your advice.  

If I'm right and they're not imprints, then I think they may be giant bacterial colonies, something thats not been seen in these rock types before.  Nothing so exciting as atmospheric density, but it could be a neat story in the paleontological side of things?

Hey Leila,

Thanks! I'd very much enjoy chatting about those! Do you have some images?

I can show you in person, but here's a taster

Try again ;)

Attachments:

Hmmmm they look too uniform in size to be raindrop imprints, but how about I cross the hallway and check'em out :)

Whenever you like :)

RSS

Photos

• Add Photos

Blog Posts

The 5th Mexican School of Astrobiology

Posted by Tardigrelda on June 24, 2019 at 1:00pm 0 Comments

I am really glad to invite everyone to the next Mexican School of Astrobiology (aka EMA) which is this August.

¡Anímate a participar en la 5ta Escuela Mexicana de…

Continue

A consortium of representatives of European Research Organisations has taken the initiative to create a virtual institute named the “European Astrobiology Institute” (EAI) with the ambition of enabli…

Posted by Wolf D. Geppert on February 24, 2019 at 1:33am 0 Comments

A consortium of representatives of European Research Organisations has taken the initiative to create a virtual institute named the “European Astrobiology Institute” (EAI) with the ambition of enabling Europe to emerge as a key player in Astrobiology and to…

Continue

AbSciCon session on life in high salt habitats

Posted by Jeff Bowman on December 14, 2018 at 8:12am 0 Comments

Abstract submissions are open for AbSciCon 2019!  You can check out the full selection of sessions here, however, I'd like to draw your attention toward the session Salty Goodness: Understanding life, biosignature…

Continue

vemala Network

Posted by Apit Supriatna on October 7, 2018 at 1:07am 0 Comments

Vemala.com merupakan situs yang membahas seputar gaya hidup, dengan berbagai macam informasi kesehatan, olahraga, Fitness, review, kecantikan, relationship,Lifestile, Tips kehamilan,Fashion dan lain sebagainya.

Videos

• Add Videos

Forum

Ask your questions here!

Started by Gina Riggio in SAGANet Discussions. Last reply by Charles Ivie Nov 26. 69 Replies

If you are trying to ask a question live during Ask an Astrobiologist, please do so in the main chatroom at the bottom of the screen! You can also ask on twitter…Continue

Internship in Astrobiology

Started by Eva Zanditenas in Jobs / Post-docs / Other opportunities Oct 9. 0 Replies

Hi, My name is Eva Zanditenas, I am in my final year of biotechnology (in Paris) and I looking for an internship of six months to conclude my studies.   I am passionate about astrobiology, and it is…Continue

Tags: internship

European Astrobilogy Institute now on Twitter !

Started by Wolf D. Geppert in SAGANet Community Sep 24. 0 Replies

ear All,The European Astrobiology Institute is now on Twitter : @EAIastrobiologyIf you are interested: Follow us!If you like a tweet: Like us!If you find a tweet interesting: Retweet!If you want us…Continue

Spiritual connection

Started by MOHIT Kakkar in The Cutting-Edge of Astrobiology Jun 15. 0 Replies

Hi pls answer my spiritual questions.Continue

© 2019   Blue Marble Space, a non-profit organization committed to science and science outreach.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service