How does the lack of methane on Mars make you feel?

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The lack of methane detection at the Mars Science Lab site is no surprise, since the emission of methane may be highly localized to a few locations on Mars. That's the issue with so few rovers - you only have a few data points to work with regarding the detection and/or non-detection of methane. Ground-based data does seem to indicate the presence of methane (10-40 ppb) at several localized regions on Mars. Also, you have to rely on the assumption that the instrument on board the Curiosity rover is working correctly, and is calibrated correctly for the detection of methane (CH4).

Hungry...for more data!

It's incredible how localized some geological phenomena can be. I work with rocks that are over 10 km thick, but the rocks that I need to do my micropaleontology work are only in layers that are 1-5 mm thick, meaning that my work is literally looking for rocks that are 1-in-a-million. I'm pretty sure many other geologic datasets require similarly narrow specifications that involve the right combination of formation, deposition and alteration conditions. Mars may even be more restrictive, given its start-stop geological history and ancient weathering. 

RSS

Forum

Ask your questions here!

Started by Gina Misra in SAGANet Discussions. Last reply by Pritha Jaipal May 6. 181 Replies

If you are trying to ask a question live during Ask an Astrobiologist, please do so in the main chatroom at the bottom of the screen! You can also ask on twitter @saganorg…Continue

© 2021   Blue Marble Space, a non-profit organization committed to science and science outreach.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service